Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Living The Camp Life.


I guess this is a long time coming, but this past week I finally realized that I am living a camp life. One night this past week, I had a dream that I broke a camp rule and it has essentially given me a wakeup call. The rule that was broken is that I let our camp dog, Jesse, into the dining hall where she enjoyed her dinner while we enjoyed ours. Now if you have ever seen Jesse you would know why this is a rule … one of my fellow staff members thinks that Jesse is the dirtiest thing known to man … I think she is beautiful and awesome!

I know that I am in too deep with living at camp when the thought of bringing the camp dog into the dining hall is haunting me in my dreams. Living at camp is in every sense of life a good thing. It is peaceful. It is safe both from harm and safe spiritually. You are free to be who you are in Christ and you have a community around you that loves you. These are all factors that have contributed to me growing in my relationship with Christ and I know that there are some out there who would trade positions with me in a heartbeat. But I don’t want to get too sucked into this life. I want to remember that there is a world outside of the Lurecrest Bubble filled with people that need the gospel. There is a world outside filled with people whose lives aren’t as “easy” as mine seems to be. I want to remember not to take this experience of the Bubble for granted and remember that God has given me this time as a gift.

I don’t really want to be trapped in the Bubble anymore. I want to go out and meet, hang out with and get to know people within the community. I want to have friends that live in Lake Lure or Rutherfordton that aren’t involved with camp. So I have to goal to get involved with one of the youth groups in town and hopefully use what I have learned to walk with students in their lives.

The Bubble isn’t getting popped, but just a bit deflated. 

2 comments:

  1. Todd, this is awesome! I know it's not easy with all the busyness at school and the feeling of isolation that is at camp. Can't wait to hear how it goes!
    -MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you are blogging more! Looking forward to catching up this weekend. Sounds like the school year is getting off to an awesome start.

    ReplyDelete