Thursday, October 25, 2012

Front Porch Sitting.

I often joke, with a hint of sincerity, that I can’t wait until I get old. I like the old man style, you know what I am talking about … the khakis with a polo tucked in over their old man belly and some gray or white sneakers. I like how the old men give you a wink after the do something nice, its like they are saying “this is what I’ve learned over the years … take some notes.” But probably the thing that I like the most is that the old men get to do a lot of front porch sitting. (I see it on tv or in the movies and it just looks like a good time!)


I can only imagine what takes place while they sit on the front porch. I think about the debates about this or that. I think about the conversations about any and all topics. I think about the stories told: the good, the bad and the entertaining. I think about how they probably reminisce about the old days: their successes, their failures, the missed opportunities and the opportunities they took that changed everything. 

 I talk about this because I’ve given up on waiting for these days to come. I’ve started doing some front porch sitting of my own. Every once in a while I will wander down to my favorite place at camp to just sit, look and reflect. I sit in a comfy chair, look at the mountains and think about what is going on in life. I use these times to get alone with God. To think about how he is working in my life, where I see him and where I may be missing him. I ask him to show me an honest view of my life. To show me where I can grow and what I need to improve in order to serve him more wholeheartedly. I sometimes sit in silence and listen to see if he wants to tell me something, and at times he does. Sometimes I sit and talk to him out loud and just pray for my life, for those I love, for the school, for whatever crosses my mind.

I know I look forward to the old man Todd Livingston and his front porch sitting, but I love these times right now. They are sweet times with God and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. 


Not a bad front porch view

No comments:

Post a Comment